Perhapsthis is one of the reasons, there is so much attention, currently, being paid, to filling the vacancy, presently occurring on the United States Supreme Court. A Supreme Court Justice is appointed for life (or until he or she retires, voluntarily), and though, these folks, ideally, should be fair and unbiased arbiters of the law, etc, it is important to understand, all them, is also human, and stems from particular life experiences, etc.. Let’s examine 6 examples of how the Supreme Court of the United States, or SCOTUS, makes a significant difference, either actually, or potentially.
1. “Hanging chad” – 2000 Presidential election: once the Presidential election of 2000, involving George W. Bush, and Al Gore, was extremely close, both from a favorite, as well as electoral vote, perspective, the contested vote, in Florida, became a significant issue. The Gore campaign argued, many votes were, either mis – counted, or uncounted, and appealed to the highest court in the land. 1 issue was re – counting the ballots, and reviewing, what became known, as the Hanging chad, because the way votes, were performed, they needed to punch – out, a particular box, and some of these were hard to distinguish. It should be understood, at the time, there was the same margin, between so – called, Conservative and Progressive Justices.
2. Presidential powers/ limits: With the retirement of a conservative judge (who occasionally was the so – called, swing – vote), the individual, chosen, to replace him, will have a substantial effect, on determining many cases. One issue, certainly to be discussed, is the dilemma of Presidential powers and authority, and limitations, and since, President Trump, is currently, potentially involved in the Russian investigation, his appointing a particular individual, provides a possibility of certain conflicts of interest.
3. Free media: Freedom of the Press, is one of our Constitutional guarantees, yet the President, has often, suggested (or inferred), his view, in they are unjust, and fake news. However, independent political fact – checkers, have stated, it’s Mr. Trump, who has lied, or made mis – statements, an average of over 6 times, each day. One could envision circumstances, where this becomes an issue, which the Court, must rule .
4. Roe v Wade: Although, Roe v Wade has become the law, of the property, for several decades, we constantly hear disagreements, between, those encouraging, a Women’s Right to Choose, as opposed to the so – called, Right to Life. It’s probable this issue, will once again, appear before the Supreme Court, and thus, who the next appointee is, and his preference, will be important, for generations.
5. The Court, will probably, need to rule on several items, we have taken for granted, such as the right to equal support, protections, Squirrel Poop
6. Framing America’s future: because this appointee, is appointed for life, and the present nominee is simply 53, he could be, on the Court, for decades. Therefore, how this shapes the make – up, of this group, will, likely, frame America;s future!
Each America should pay keen attention to this situation, and carefully consider, why we have to be vigilant, to protect all our American freedoms and liberties, not simply, our personal favorites! Wake up, America, before it’s too late!