Bees are a sweet affair because of what they produce in the end. But whether you are into beekeeping as a hobby or for business reasons, you must make certain that your interactions with the bees are secure and simple. Apart from getting acquainted with the basics of beekeeping, you will also need to understand the very best gear to use in the area and how to really use the tools correctly. You may start off with the most indispensable beekeeping supplies and then upgrade according to the demands of your beekeeping endeavor.
1. Protective gear – Beekeeping for beginners should begin with prioritizing personal safety and this means getting yourself protective equipment. This is what’s going to keep you protected to stings and bee venom that may be dangerous. The suit ought to be made up of pants, coat, and beekeeper’s veil. They can come individually or you can decide on a jumper styled suit that’s easy to wear. Think about getting gloves as well to finish the gear and gumboots also. The suits are made from different materials and you should be certain you consider the advantages and disadvantages of each before buying what is suitable and what you can actually afford.
2. Hive tool – This is a strong flat metal tool which may be 7 inches long, 2 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. It is what you will need to use to scrap off propolis to keep a cleaner hive. You may also use the tool to start the honeycomb and squash intruders like hive beetles. Some models feature small holes that you can use to pull nails out when necessary. Choose a hive tool which you can trust to serve your needs and one which is simple to use.
3. Bee brush – it’s a soft bristled brush that you will use to remove bees from frames and honey supers. They are soft to keep them gentle on the bees so that they don’t wind up going on the rampage. You should make certain you use the brush appropriately so that you don’t end up damaging bee parts like wings and legs; remember that you still want your tiny friends to keep the business or hobby fruitful. Get the best brush and learn how to use it properly.
4. Smoker – it’s the most iconic and most used in beekeeping world. Your smoker ought to be made from high quality materials such as stainless steel and should have metal guards to protect your hands, a good chimney and leather or wood bellows.
5. Extracting equipment – you can select electric or manual, commercial or small scale extractor. They pull honey from frames and make bottling easy to do. There are so may models so be sure to choose what you feel makes the jobs smoother.